Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Should pound for pound boxing lists have a tie?

For as much as I love Ring Magazine and have for a very long time, there are just so many reasons why having a tie is wrong.
First off and foremost, this is a cop out. The pound for pound list is not suppose to be easy. Just recently, I had a very hard time choosing the number ten spot for our boxing rankings, but I eventually chose a suitable fighter. I could have had 3-4 fighters in the number ten spot and been ok with it, but you just cannot have a tie. Once you start including ties in the top ten world pound for pound list you open up a huge can of worms. Now you can have a tie whenever you run into a tough decision between two equally qualified fighters. There are 17 divisions. Imagine having ties included on those lists as well?
Looking at the current p4p list, the only tie I could understand would be Pacquiao and Marquez. Where you place them on the list is an entirely different debate, but one could argue they could in fact be tied no matter what number you place them at. Boxing Society has Marquez at four and Pacquiao at five. I can honestly say that if I believed that boxing pound for pound lists should included ties, I would have Pacquiao and Marquez dead even at four. Eventually I chose Marquez ahead of Pacquiao because I believe Juan has maintained his p4p status in his last few fights vs Pacquiao who I feel may have slipped a little.
Another item of interest is Pacquiao being as high as two in the first place. Sergio Martinez and Andre Ward have both made huge leaps up the pound for pound ladder based on their most recent fight performances. Looking at Pacquiao’s last few fights plus Martinez’ and Ward’s, Boxing Society has Martinez and Ward ahead of Pacquiao.
I may love THE RING, and that will never change, however, I have often found their pound for pound list to be very subjective. That is fine with me, but having Mayweather and Pacquiao stuck in a tie at number two is about as bad as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment